Question How does Bukkit alter Vanilla Minecraft?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by DarkSamus9000, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

DarkSamus9000

Hello, I'm a newbie to these forums and to bukkit. I have one question: how does it alter vanilla Minecraft?

I've heard rumors that bukkit changes small things about Minecraft that may stop certain farms to work, or make commands not work, etc. Anything that changes game mechanics, chunk rendering or the like I'd like to know about. I'm planning to launch a small private vanilla SMP server for my friends and I to play on together.

If you know anything, please tell me!

~Samus

2. Offline

teej107

@DarkSamus9000 Bukkit is just an API for developers to write plugins with. Many server softwares implement the Bukkit API like CraftBukkit or Spigot. Out of the box, CB or Spigot is just the same as the vanilla server software. It depends on what plugins you install that change the behavior of the server.

EDIT: However there may be some small differences since CB and Spigot aren't actually the vanilla server. For example, Spigot does some things to make the server run a bit more smoothly. I think Spigot fixes the glitch that allows you to create holes in the nether ceiling. (I heard that was fixed in 1.8 regardless)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.