[EDIT/FUN/SEC] VoxelSniper v5.019 - Flexible Long-Range In-Game Map Editor [BukkitDev]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by Voxel Box, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Offline

Voxel Box

2. Offline

Voxel Box

This is a core problem with minecraft. The blocks ARE changing but MC doesn't like to show it unless the changed block is right in front of you. We have two workarounds.

1) Use an update-physics performer rather than a nophysics performer. Instead of ending the performer with "p" end it with "up". This will send the "this block has changed packet" to every sniped block. Be careful as this can be laggy with larger brush sizes. It may not show for everyone, but it will show for you guaranteed.
    2) Use the /vupdate command after the sniping is done. It will update the whole chunk for you. By default, anybody can use /vupdate so you can tell your audience to type the command also.

As for the popping off after a time, there are a couple things to be careful about:
    1) Sometimes to make no-physics work correctly, you don't use it on the block that pops off but on the block you are trying to attach it to.
    2) Performing normal block changes or snipes nearby will cause minecraft to recheck the physics of your no-physics block.

3. Offline

przerwap

And don't forget that things like flowers and mushrooms update themselves regardless of what you do with them. For some strange reason Notch likes to constantly update them ...

4. Offline

Voxel Box

Works for me. Try updating VoxelSniper again.

5. Offline

Sneaky420

so.... reallllly reallllly love the plugin... but with the recent command change, it is like being stabbed :(, been using this for sometime, and i am running a creative server, so i use it more then placing blocks manually, but, this change with things like '/b is' being '/b s i' and having the "preformers" and sure, I am sure it is a great system if one was new at the plugin, but maybe if you guys would be as kind to put in a mirror version or a configurable thing to allow the old commands to work seeing as the function still remains the same.

the old dog new trick thing... i sat here for about 10 mins trying to type /b is to only realize that it was changed... please :(

6. Offline

Voxel Box

Theoretically, we could change the parse order from brush performer to performer brush, but that would likely be an even larger disruption of your muscle memory. Keep in mind that we had a brush in VS4 called "ibr". The "ink" bit was before the "ball" bit and the "replace" was after. So while, /b i s would be more like the old /b is, /b im b would not really be. Additionally, most of our snipers are having no problem making the change once they really understand the MIC system. I would suggest really reading the wiki documentation thoroughly and walking through the examples listed there. If you are just trying to memorize all the performer names, I can see how it would be a lot more confusing.

7. Offline

Sneaky420

Yea, i am sure the new system is good, and yes I am very used to using the commands that were in place. To me, having /b is meaning 'brush type' then ink snipe, just seems to be easier to understand rather then brushtype snipe ink but then having to change the performer back to materials rather then just hitting /b s adds more to remember.

Yes i am sure in a short time I will get used to it, and yes the way my head works, i usually do everything from memory, to the point that I know just about all the block IDs without having to look them up, so this change to be is a foundational change and is just a big unexpected change, and was worth at lest asking :(

Now i have to look forward to explaining the changes to the "litesnipers" i am training... yay lol

8. Offline

kingcole436

Uh, when making that giant tree, when adding branches and stuff its like it doesn't see the wooden blocks and when I place the leafs, it places them on the blocks behind the ones im looking at. Is this a known bug?

9. Offline

sfxworks

Work with ptm to allow placement of bo2s instead of just your standard trees? (bo2s are custom trees made by users that are placed in the world during generation)

Also, how would I go about placing flowing water on top of water? Since water can flow in different directions would I do something like 8.(1-15)?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
  10. Offline

QuentinFK

I need some quick help, I was messing around with Voxelsniper, and I used the /b v command, and at first it didnt do anything, so I continued on, then I lagged out of my server (I'm running it) and when I logged back in I was on top of a huge block of the block type I selected a while ago, completely covering my spawn area. I tried to /undo, only to realize that only works for WorldEdit. Is there anyway to undo this?

EDIT: I tried /u 1 but since I had already logged out of the server it didn't show anything to undo.

11. Offline

przerwap

/u

12. Offline

QuentinFK

Tried it, but since I logged out because of lag, it didn't show anything to undo.

13. Offline

przerwap

Undo's are not reset from logging out. Only from flushing the RAM.

14. Offline

Voxel Box

Do You Speak VoxelSniper?
    A new VoxelSniper poster presented by The Voxel Box:

Find it here!

Thank you to sedentarygecko for creating this poster.
    ------
    Also available is...
    The VoxelSniper Cheat-Sheet!
    A handy guide to the new VoxelSniper:

Find it here!

Thank you to AndyBz17 for updating the cheat sheet.
    ------
    Do not forget about the...
    VoxelSniper 5 Release Tutorial!
    A helpful video tutorial/lesson on using the new VoxelSniper commands:

Find it here!

Thank you to Giltwist and Ciscog33k for creating this handy video.
    ------
    Do not forget about our wonderful developers przerwap, Gavjenks, Giltwist, DivineRage, and psanker! None of this would be possible without them!

15. I have an issue, it might not be voxel's fault but it's voxel related so...

I just promoted a new user to admin and added his username to snipers.txt, the name is definitely correct.

but whenever he tries to do anything nothing happens, and when he types anything such as /v 1 it says something about an example? as if to tell him how to use it... I remember having that issue myself when i set up the server but it was simply because I had forgotten to add myself to snipers.txt and now it works fine for me.

as near as i can tell he has all the same priviledges as me and the other admin, any ideas why hes getting this "error"?

16. Offline

przerwap

Did ya /reload ?

17. Offline

SondreHG

Wheres the REPLACE brush :(?
    Gone?

Sadface

18. Offline

Voxel Box

Yep, all replace brushes are gone. However, we are using our new performers system, which will let you do replace and more on EVERY brush shape!

Read all about it on the VoxelWiki: http://www.voxelwiki.com/minecraft/VoxelSniper

Or check out the handy poster, cheat sheet, or video!

19. Offline

pietftw

hey,

are you planning to add these big mushrooms to the tree brush, or something like this? i mean in the near future after release of 1.8.

20. Offline

Voxel Box

That's a great suggestion! Hopefully our developers can find new and exciting uses for VoxelSniper in 1.8, once they are able to test it!

21. Offline

SondreHG

Why make it so complicated?
    Can't you just re-add the "/b br" brush? It makes my terraforming life so much easier...!

22. Offline

przerwap

It's actually much simpler now. At least from a programmer's perspective...

23. Offline

SondreHG

But there's more commands to use, and to remember...

24. Offline

Voxel Box

More commands means you can do more things! Not only can you ball replace ( /b b mm ) but also you can line replace ( /b l mm ) or ball replace a specific color of wool instead of all wool ( /b b mc).

25. Offline

przerwap

There aren't any more commands than there was before.

All you need to remember is that:
    'm' stands for material ( /v )
    'i' stands for ink ( /vi )
    'c' stands for combo ( /v & /vi )

The performer syntax is simply:
    /b [performer-compliant-brush] [ (what you want to place) (what you want to re-place) ]

So, for example:

/b triangle mc

The ' / b ' you obviously know
    The ' triangle ' is the 3-point triangle drawing brush. Takes 3 points in 3D space (any 3 points) and draws a triangle
    The ' mc ' is a combination [set][replace] which says that you are [setting] what your ' /v ' is and that you are re-placing blocks that are of you ' /vr ' and your ' /vir ' (ink-replace)

So basically this triangle brush with the 'mc' performer combination allows you to, say, change Torches that are facing West to glowstone blocks.

26. Offline

evil_andy

Hi, I've been trying out this plugin for a couple days now, and it really is quite powerful! It can be like using a .45 Magnum to carve a baby Jesus in a match-head... With that said, it also allows for the utmost precision when used properly.
    My only (seriously, only) desire for it though, is Permissions support. My setup currently has a main world (which is survival mode), and I do not want to allow terraforming/etc. on that world. Not even my own (and holy crap, for whatever reason, I keep finding arrows in my active item slot and I keep right clicking with them... even after I use /d and it just replaces a block with air, it's still annoying because I can't undo it).
    So, on to the question.

What license is VoxelSniper released under, and is it possible to get a copy of the source code. I'd have no problems returning the work to you guys (or the community, if that's what you'd rather).

Thanks!

27. Offline

Voxel Box

As of v5.036, snipe brush will be able to be undone with /u. Hope that helps.

28. Offline

Razorcane

I can't wait for 5.036. More importantly, I can't wait for Spline. :D Also, don't forget to add psanker to your programmers list!

29. Offline

przerwap

The bukkit forums are the craphole of our documentation. Rarely updated. He's listed as an author on the voxelwiki & in the plugin.yml (/version VoxelSniper)

30. Offline

Voxel Box

psanker added.
    Quite true. Hopefully we'll be on BukkitDev soon, (hint hint).

31. Offline

evil_andy

Cool! Any idea on the permissions stuff? I saw a brief mention of it on the first couple pages of this thread, but that appeared to be it...