Solved Database or alternate datastorage?

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by GiantDwarf01, Sep 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

GiantDwarf01

Hello, I am making a plugin that requires loading and saving lots of data constantly in a database type format. Currently I'm using MySQL but I'm not sure about having to have a separate server host for it is the best solution. So are there any other solutions I can use? Hashmap won't work I think because I'm storing multiple data in a single row, and a multidimensional array might work, but it doesn't seem particularly convenient or applicable in this situation. Thanks for any help.

2. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@GiantDwarf01 MySQL takes time to read and write.
    Why not a hashmap that contains a list of items?
    Or create a custom class designed to store whatever you need to store.

Konato_K likes this.
  3. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@timtower, isn't there a regional DB system built into Bukkit? I've seen it used before.

4. Offline

There is, don't fully know how to use it though.
    But it is still a database so the question is how fast it is.

5. I'd say use a Map and then load/save to the database on enable/disable

6. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@bwfcwalshy, depending on what that data is, Walshy, that might be a RAM killer.

7. Offline

@Tecno_Wizard Database might be a speed killer, it depends on the data and how much it is used for what to use.

8. Offline

mythbusterma

@GiantDwarf01

You can make HashMaps of any item, so why don't you make your own class, then make HashMaps of that?

9. Offline

Konato_K

@GiantDwarf01 Just adding another alternative, but SQLite is a database and does not need a server to run, it's local, is fast, and considering you're using SQL syntax it should be easier to move to SQLite since you may only have to change a few things here and there.

10. Offline

mythbusterma

@Konato_K

It's still significantly slower than using FileConfiguration.

11. Offline

Konato_K

@mythbusterma If he wants a database I assume he needs thousands or more records, which keeping in a file configuration may not be a good idea.

12. Offline

boomboompower

@Konato_K look at essentials. I doubt it will be as big is that, if he was making a large server with 10k people on it every day (Like Hypixel) then, it wouldn't be a good idea to use FileConfiguration

13. Offline

mythbusterma

14. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

Here's what I do for data storage. With a lot of my newer plugins (not on bukkit dev), I am using a generic system I made this summer. So far it's designed for JSON only (JSON.simple is built into craftbukkit and is significantly faster at parsing vs YAML). As a player logs in, the player's file is loaded into the ram. If a player is offline and their file is requested, it is loaded into the cache for 5 minutes, then if not used again, disposed. Once a player logs off, the changes to the file are flushed and the file is discarded from the ram. Every 10 mins all data is flushed async.

DoggyCodeâ„¢ likes this.
  15. Offline

Konato_K

@boomboompower Essentials uses a single file for each player, this "fixes" the problem.

@mythbusterma Personal experience, I have seen plugins "reset" all their data once they reach some thousand amount of entries, an example of this has been Pex, which seemed to reset when it had a lot of players in it's configuration file.

16. Offline

mythbusterma

@Konato_K

That's a programatical error, not an issue with the method of storing itself.

Konato_K likes this.
  17. Offline

GiantDwarf01

Thank you everyone for your help. I'll probably try some of the methods and see which one is best after testing. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.