Change text color in chat

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Yourdogsdead, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Yourdogsdead

I installed Essentials v2.1, EssentialsChat, EssentialsGroupManager and EssentialsGroupBridge.

Any help is appreciated, i want to customize chat color based on rank (Admin, Mod, etc.)

I also now cannot use my map (dynmap) anymore, it seems to have stopped running.

Windows 7 64bit
    Java 32bit
    Running McMyAdmin
    CraftBukkit 646

2. Offline

solentice

Within the config.yml file for Essentials plugin, there is a section for Essentials Chat settings. Within this section, you can add color codes to the messages, but to do it for each group, you can do something like I have below, where I have each of my group's (replace the group names below with your own)name display, along with the username and their message, ALL in the same color defined for each group:
    Code:
      group-formats:
        Default: '&d[{GROUP}] {DISPLAYNAME}:&d {MESSAGE}'
        Builder: '&e[{GROUP}] {DISPLAYNAME}:&e {MESSAGE}'
        Moderator: '&b[{GROUP}] {DISPLAYNAME}:&b {MESSAGE}'
        Admin: '&a[{GROUP}] {DISPLAYNAME}:&a {MESSAGE}'
    I also added the same group color codes to the Essentials GroupManager file under prefix and suffix for each group, just for good measure. You can customize the above format as you wish, removing color codes, or removing, or adding message variables to make the messages appear as you wish. Unfortunately, there isn't much documentation on the Essentials wiki or thread for their Essentials Chat settings or how to configure it properly, so you'll have to play around with it like I did to find what works, and what doesn't.

For the Minecraft color codes, check here http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Classic_Server_Protocol#Color_Codes .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.