bukkit server help

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by creeperbomber, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

creeperbomber

Me and my friend made this bukkit server. We got a lot of plugins and have started to make it. But then when i ask my other friend to connect just knowing him through a server, not in real life. It says he cannot connect. I do have my server ip set as my computers ip. I was wondering on how i would make my server public so anyone can join it. Thanks :D

2. Offline

Sagacious_Zed Bukkit Docs

Are you on a network? Is it a home network? Is your real friend connecting on the same network? Is the router set to forward ports correctly?

3. Offline

creeperbomber

i am on my computers ip and no one else can connect i need a step by step tut on how to make it public

4. Offline

You answered none of my yes or no questions, all of which are very important. Knowing that you are just on your Computer's IP and people tells me very little, and nothing new, just enough to guess at what is wrong....

5. Offline

creeperbomber

yes, I am on a network Yes it is a home network yes he is connecting on the same network. and not sure about the last one

6. Offline

hammale

kk did u go into ur router settings? Do the words "Port Forwarding" ring a bell?

7. Offline

creeperbomber

how do i get into my router setting? and doesnt ring a bell =[

8. Offline

hammale

And is your friend trying to connect at your house or at his house?

ok, do you know where your router is? can u tell me who makes it? (linksys, netgear, belikin etc.)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  9. Offline

creeperbomber

i am at my friends house. i was trying to get my friend from this other server. but i do not know him in real life. and it says he cannot connect

and my router is from quest

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

10. Offline

Yes, It would seem that you do not have your ports forwarded or they are forwarded incorrectly.

Now, to put your knowledge 0f your computer's ip to work. You will need to forward the port 25565 (by default, if you changed it it will be different) on your router to your computer's ip.
    http://portforward.com/ has a nice set of instructions for most routers.

Afterwards you will need to give the router's wan ip to your friend. If you can't find it in your router, you can go here http://www.whatsmyip.org/

11. Offline

creeperbomber

ok il try

12. Offline

hammale

kk wat about the router? Heres a simple explanation of port forwarding: Your router has wats called a "public ip". That is a long number that gives access directly to your router from ANYWHERE there is internet! What minecraft does is go to that "public ip" and get to your router. Consider that as getting off of the highway (teh internet) and onto the correct street (your router). Now along with just the public ip minecraft uses a "port" (usually 25565) to find the house. So when minecraft gets to ur router by your "public ip" it presents the router with a "port". The router then FORWARDS that port to your computer at your house. Consider that going from the street into the driveway of your house. Does that make sense?

13. Offline

creeperbomber

what do i click on it lol

14. Offline

hammale

LOL DANG IT Zed! you stole my thunder :) If that doesnt makes sense to you i can help u further :p

15. Offline

On portforward. first the model of your router......

16. Offline

hammale

alrite ready for n00b instructions?

17. Offline

creeperbomber

im ready for noob instructions

18. Offline

@hammale i like to skip the analogies, but that is a good one.

19. Offline

hammale

kk i can give REALLY simple instructions but i need the maker of ur router. It should say on it...

I try my best :p

20. Offline

creeperbomber

Netgear

21. Offline

hammale

kk r u running windows mac or linux? windows vista? windows 7?

22. Offline

creeperbomber

wait its not netgear anymore we just switched internet

maybe. hang on let me try to find out

23. Offline

hammale

lol this is gonna be fun! :p

24. Offline

25. Offline

creeperbomber

all it says on it is quest and there is something that says zyxel

26. Offline

Now it's from netgear?? :eek:

27. Offline

hammale

ive never heard of quest...

28. Offline

creeperbomber

how do i know my model?

29. Offline

hammale

we'll skip that:
    open a tab and go to 192.168.1.1 and enter ur router username and pass (do u know it?)

30. Offline

creeperbomber

all it says on it is quest and on the top corner it says zyxel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.