Blocks with 'nametags'

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by ShadowDisruptor, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

ShadowDisruptor

I've been trying to display HUDs like name tags over blocks. I've tried mobs, but haven't been able to get them to work just right. I can't get the name tag to show up permanently so I could hide the mob in the block, and I can't get the name tag to show up when the mob is invisible. If someone has a fix to one of the already suggested ideas, or a method of their own, I would appreciate to hear about it. Thanks.

2. Offline

Konato_K

@ShadowDisruptor Holograms? You need to spawn a horse with a weird negative age and make it ride a wither skull, there are plenty of tutorials about that, just use google.

3. Offline

ShadowDisruptor

It looks like that's a bit overkill. Is it possible to have a mobs name tag show 24/7, like a player name tag?

4. Offline

Konato_K

@ShadowDisruptor The horse will show 24/7 (Well, that if the player stays that long)

5. Offline

ShadowDisruptor

Well, yes, that was another thing I realized. It only sets it up for the online players, and if someone else joins, then they don't see this. These would be used dynamically, not for something static like a hub. Making the mobs tag stay up 24/7 would be the best solution, and I don't see the point of going to a more difficult solution if there's one that could be done 10x easier and more efficiently.

6. Offline

Konato_K

7. Offline

ShadowDisruptor

Basically, I am having different 'buildings' based on where a player places them. Since I want to do this 100% non-modded, I need to resort to the name tags to show the type of building and it's current health / status. (Buildings would be wool blocks, or if it's possible to change the text on above a player head, that could work too.)

8. Offline

Konato_K

@ShadowDisruptor If with above a player head you mean an actual player, you can use TagAPI, however, that would flicker the player for a moment when the tag changes and will change/break their skin

If you mean an actual skull block then I don't think you can have the nametag to show with the mob being invisible, I have heard you can achieve this with NMS by overriding something in the mobs, but I'm not entirely sure since I have never done this myself.

9. Offline

ShadowDisruptor

It doesn't have to be invisible. As long as the name tag showed 24/7, I could put it inside the block.

10. Offline

Konato_K

@ShadowDisruptor Then use a mob? Anyway, I think having mobs enclosed in blocks will turn the nametag gray-ish

11. Offline

ShadowDisruptor

The nametag only shows if you look at it, that's been the issue. That's why I was asking how to make it show 24/7...

12. Offline

Konato_K

13. Offline

ShadowDisruptor

Tried it, hasn't changed anything.

14. Offline

Konato_K

@ShadowDisruptor I'm pretty sure that works, are you sure you have the right entity?

15. Offline

ShadowDisruptor

16. Offline

Konato_K

@ShadowDisruptor It works fine with the mobs I've tested in 1.7, if you have 1.8 then I can't help you.

17. Offline

AlphaRLee

@Konato_K I want to try adding similar effects into my own plugin, and so far, your idea for the witherskull and horse thing seems good...however, I noticed that on your server (yeah, I play there frequently), all the holograms are floating 1 block over the ground. Is there a way to get that hologram to be only 1 block above without that greying out problem? Thanks!

18. Offline

Konato_K

@AlphaRLee You can place them wherever you want, one block above ground, two, three hundrer, the graying out problem it's because there are blocks where the horse is, graying out it's nametag (the horse it's a giant horse, something really weird, but it seems to work)

19. Offline

ShadowDisruptor

I was using 1.8. After testing with 1.7.10, I have gotten the same exact results.

20. Offline

Konato_K

21. Offline

ShadowDisruptor

That was te issue. Thanks for continuing the support through this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.