Application RemoteToolkit - Restarts + crash detection + auto saves + remote console!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Tools' started by drdanick, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

drdanick

Minecraft RemoteToolkit
    -Less downtime, more fun for your players, more power to you!

Are you a Minecraft server administrator? Do you value up-time and stability? Do you fancy the ability to remotely control your server, both in-game and out of game, in a myriad of useful ways from a plethora of different devices?
    If you answered yes to any of the above, then the Minecraft RemoteToolkit is for you!

What the Minecraft RemoteToolkit Plugin and Wrapper do for you:
    • Provides almost perfect server uptime with no need for action from an owner/administrator!
    • Have your server save and restart at any time period with configurable restart warnings!
    • The Toolkit guarantees a restart within the set restart period, even if your server crashes, becomes unresponsive, or encounters a "SEVERE" exception!
    • Remotely control every function of the Toolkit, even from your smart phone!
    • Full remote console access via telnet with support for multiple terminal types!
    • Telnet daemon conforms to current Telnet related RFCs!
    • Customizable alert messages!
    • Fully extendable though 3rd party modules!
    • Full feature set works with most craftbukkit builds!
    • Most features work with any Minecraft server variation, even vanilla!
    • Telnet can be disabled!
    For server administrators
    Download - Release 10, Alpha 15.3 [CB 1.7.2-R0.2] (wget friendly)
    Instructions & Documentation

For developers
    UDP API REV 8 | Documentation
    Module API | Coming soon!

For everyone
    Official IRC channel
    #remotetoolkit @ irc.esper.net

"Help! I've downloaded it, but I do not know how to get it working!"
    Stop! Before you give up or ask for help, make sure you have read the step-by-step installation instructions on the wiki page. If you are still having problems, please do not be hesitant to post a request for help on this thread or in the IRC channel - no matter how simple your problem seems.

Todo

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Any donation would be very much appreciated. I'm but a poor University student, and I sacrifice quite a lot of unpaid time to keep the Toolkit updates and support flowing.

Thank you to the following who have chosen to support the Toolkit through a donation:
    Deren909, marshall007, Vittek, clanslots, meee, KyneSilverhide, szoller, hungoverfurball, Lama_0, Viet, acc1dent, joby890, Liger_XT5

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Offline

oliverw92

I tested it on OSX Terminal. This is a screenshot of when i connect (can't restart server right now to show you that):

[​IMG]

When i start the server i get practically nothing except for a few lines from plugins starting up.

3. Offline

drdanick

odd. Do you have access to the server console itself?

4. Offline

piekiller

on my ipod touch when using the UDP Tool+ app it will not restart my server. in the outgoing UDP data i put the ip, port, i have autosend off i enter restart:(username):(password) but when i press send all it does is make a beeping noise and not restart my server. Am i supposed to put something in incoming?

thanks in advance

5. Offline

drdanick

Try using the web panel. If that fails, it may mean you need to forward port 25561 (or whatever you set it to) to your server.

6. Offline

oliverw92

I don't, no. I'll talk to the server owner when he's next online.

7. Offline

piekiller

yeah im thinking i need to port forward it because i can use the 127.0.0.1 on my computer but not the server ip on my computer

8. Offline

drdanick

You can't use your external IP from within your network. I'm going to take a wild guess that your iOS device is inside the same network as your server. You're going to have to use the IP address of your server within your network (will probably look something like 192.168.1.x)

9. Offline

piekiller

oh okay do you know a way i can find that number?

10. Offline

drdanick

what os is your server running?

11. Offline

piekiller

os x

Edit: mac os x

12. Offline

tremor

Just a couple of feature requests
    1. Log rolling - Now that my server runs all the time, my server.log gets really big! Think we can incorporate a server.log.1-10 on each restart?
    2. An in-game command for /stopwrapper. I lost telnet access for whatever reason the other day, from in-game /stop and /restartsrv only managed to restart the server when I was in need of a full shutdown... had to kill the process.
    thanks and keep up the good work.

13. Offline

drdanick

System preferences -> select the active interface -> advanced -> TCP/IP -> IPv4 address.
    You can do this from the terminal with ifconfig, but the above may be easier for you.

Both are good ideas and I will probably implement them, especially the latter. However, I would be interested in finding out more about your Telnet woes. Did a restart of the wrapper fix it?

14. Offline

tremor

I was hasty, and uploaded the contents of my development server (which included 10b71) to my production server (which had the previous remote toolkit release installed) while the production server was running, coincidentally about a minute before the automatic restart (trying to sneakily time some plugin upgrades on the fly)... it worked suprisingly well but for some reason it borked the telnet - assuming the new .jar for rtoolkit, that I unintentionally uploaded.

Oh ya, one more.. can we get a .exit for telnet to nicely close the connection.

15. Offline

drdanick

Ctrl+D is generally recognized as the standard keystroke to drop a telnet connection. I'll have it print it at the top of the shell upon a connection to let people know. It's a lot easier than adding a Telnet specific command. Both the telnet and local console commands are parsed in the same method.

16. Offline

Nate204

I don't know if this is your restarter (I doubt it...) but when Minecraft restarts~ It's almost like it it becomes on of those things that works 50% of the time, Every time.....

It gets hung up on "Saving Chunks" and drops everyone in the game.

17. Offline

LightKing

Why do i get a ''
    Code:
    java.net.SocketException: socket closed'
    ' error when I use the UDP Client?
    I put my user name and pass, and for ip, I put my ip. I tried using the ip with port but still doesnt work

18. Offline

Nate204

So...
    I'm going to pull my hair out...or what's left of it.

Today I bumped my server RAM up to 5GB.
    I'm almost positive that I'm running a 32bit version of Java SDK. I must be, because of the error I'll show below.
    I DO NOT want to limit java to running at 1GB -.-; I use the server ONLY for Minecraft.

SO I tried the following command, and This is what I get.
    (I'm using a funky command right now~ due to BigBrother not functioning like it should.)

I'll get an error saying something about the size exceding the the allowed amount for Java. It will then tell me "Could not create the Java virtual machine."

I post this here, because I tried to edit the restarter config, and It wouldn't work correctly.
    The server would still show as using only 1gb of RAM. I figured it "was" the restarter, until I tried to run it as Minecraft.net suggests.

I'm trying to allocate 4gb of my 5gb.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?
    I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 with 2x Xion 2.8 Duo Core
    I had it unlocked to allow for the use of more than 4GB of memory.

(see suggestion below)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10453928#post10453928

Thanks everyone who can assist with this odd ball question~

19. Offline

drdanick

That looks like an issue with the server itself. The wrapper will force a restart by default at 5 minutes after the reestart is meant to occur, so it will eventually work.

Is that error coming from the UDP client or the wrapper?

So the server refuses to start whether you use the wrapper or not?
    What are the outputs of the two following commands?
    Code:
    java -version
    Code:
    cat /proc/meminfo
    Edit: Oh I see, you're using a 32 bit version of ubuntu. Well, either install a 64 bit version, or enable PAE. The people on that forum will know a lot more about this than me, so I suggest you listen to them. :p

20. Offline

LightKing

Udp client. Am I able to use the UDP Client on the same comp as the server is running?

21. Offline

drdanick

Yes (as long as you set the host to 127.0.0.1 or "localhost"). Does the exception you're getting have a stack trace?

22. Offline

LightKing

Sorry im a noob, whats a stack trace, and even when I put to local host, it won't work

23. Offline

drdanick

This is what a stack trace looks like:
    Code:
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
            at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
            at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:182)
            at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:66)
            at net.minecraft.server.Packet.b(SourceFile:102)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.f(SourceFile:157)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.c(SourceFile:15)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkReaderThread.run(SourceFile:68)

Which device are you using localhost on? Also make sure that the password and username match exactly as what you set when starting the wrapper.

24. Offline

Phinary

For some reason whenever someone types a '%' It restarts the server... Please help me

25. Offline

axebyte

Just a question..
    Occasionally some plugins throw a SEVERE error but it doesnt effect the server. like a wrong command or they use an invalid ID in shop or something.

but the
    [SEVERE] Unexpected exception
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
    completely freezes the server (i now know this is hitting alot of people) Freezes it for players anyhow.. console commands and all still run fine.
    Is there anyway to set this so it will do a save-all then restart only on this error?

Right now any setting 1-3 seems to restart, and with a few plugings throwing a SEVERE that doesnt stop the server or hurt in anyway seems to be botheresome, (20+ people at times you get quite a few off ball SEVEREs from shop iauction and a few others. and rebooting every 10 minutes to an hour is annoying as hell :D

I am presently stuck with the choices.
    1)disable about 2-3 plugings that occasionally call a SEVERE but are really important to the overall play style of my server. So this plugin only catched the error mentioned.

or
    2) cut out your plugin or the restart on SEVERE exceptions and get froze and need to manually reboot 1 -2 times a day.

Really like this plugin and been using it alot (just wish the Function for restart on SEVERE could be isolated down to specific errors. :D

26. Offline

drdanick

Well, setting it to level 1 will only cause a restart on unexpected severe errors. At the moment, my code does not allow for multiple lines to be parsed, so I cannot immediately implement your suggestion, though I am working on it. Really though, unexpected exceptions are usually bad, and it is sometimes a good idea to restart on them.

Also, remember that the toolkit will still restart your server by default 5 minutes after it was scheduled to. So even if it does freeze, it will eventually restart.
    --- merged: Feb 15, 2011 6:22 PM ---
    That means your server is crashing and the wrapper is bringing it back up. It isn't caused by the wrapper, the wrapper is actually doing its job. :p

27. Offline

blaize9

I have a question about this post that you made. Also thanks for the reply
    what would this do? im running my server with a quad core and im not sure how i would put this stuff in?? and what it does

Code:
    :+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX\:+UseParNewGC -XX\:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX\:ParallelGCThreads\=6 -XX\:+AggressiveOpts
    [/CODE

28. Offline

drdanick

You'll want to set extra-runtime-arguments in wrapper.properties to:

Code:
    -XX\:+UseConcMarkSweepGC,-XX\:+UseParNewGC,-XX\:+CMSIncrementalPacing,-XX\:ParallelGCThreads\=6,-XX\:+AggressiveOpts

29. Offline

Jobsti

Hey @drdanick
    Please please please add a changelog ;)

30. Offline

drdanick

As I have mentioned, the post hit the word limit and I can't add anything. The best i've been able to do so far is to include changes in each of the posts I make regarding a new version. I'll expedite the process of moving most of the post onto the wiki so I can add the version history soon. :p

31. Offline

LucidLethargy

I currently use SimpleServer, would this wrapper work with SimpleServer through one method or another? I love what it does, but I also love the simplicity of simpleserver, and it's backup mechanism and whitelist.

I can switch over to pure bukkit, but I figured I'd ask before digging around for replacements for both of those functions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.